Sarah was a 21-year-old college student at Kutztown University in Pennsylvania when she contracted bacterial meningitis in 2014. She suddenly came down with a severe headache and fever, and was rushed to the emergency room.
While in the ER, she lost consciousness and a rash appeared on her body. The doctor diagnosed her with meningococcal disease and told her family that she might not survive. Sarah spent 13 days in the ICU and five days in a coma. She spent a total of six weeks in the hospital recovering. As a result of the infection, she is now hearing impaired.
Sarah had been vaccinated against meningococcal disease, but the recommended vaccines at the time did not protect her against serogroup B, which is what she had. Today Sarah is back in college studying occupational therapy. As a NMA T.E.A.M. member, she is committed to educating young adults about prevention to help protect them from this disease.