At 9 months old, Sam contracted meningococcal disease. Her mom thought she had the flu but when her condition worsened, she knew something was seriously wrong and rushed her to the emergency room. Doctors recognized the symptoms of the potentially fatal bacterial infection and did everything they could to save her life. Sam survived, but her skin was permanently scarred, her nose damaged, and several fingers and toes were amputated. In spite of these challenges, Sam has gone on to start a family and works as an artist. She is dedicated to raising awareness about meningococcal disease and the importance of prevention.
“Make the most of every chance you have, especially if you have a chance to encourage change someone’s life for the better.”