As a freshman in college, Claudette’s daughter, Cherice, was an outstanding student and a healthy young woman with dreams of attending medical school. On March 21, 2001, Claudette’s world was turned upside down when she learned that her daughter had died that morning from meningococcal disease, a serious, but vaccine-preventable bacterial infection. Cherice had been experiencing flu-like symptoms the day before and went to the school’s health services. She was diagnosed with the flu and told to go home and rest. It was only after Cherice’s death that Claudette learned a simple vaccination may have saved her daughter’s life.
“Cherice left behind a legacy of leadership and volunteerism,” said Claudette. “With that in mind I am working to help educate parents about the dangers of meningococcal disease and the importance of prevention methods.”
See more from Claudette Cochrane-Lewis
- Other video (The 16 vaccine advocate videos)