My son Ryan was a freshman on a baseball scholarship at the University of Akron when I received a call from his roommate that Ryan was very sick with a rash all over his body. Since I, like so many other parents, thought it was the flu I told his friend to just get him to the hospital. It wasn’t until I arrived at the hospital did I hear the term meningococcemia. Luckily for Ryan the diagnosis and treatment in the ER and I.C.U. came quickly and he survived. I testified in 2004 to help get our state’s Meningitis Awareness Bill passed because no young person should suffer or die from this disease. Before Ryan left for college, we were told how much college would cost however, I didn’t realize it could have almost cost me my son’s life.