Stories from Visitors

Page 5 of 512345

Kimberly

Parent of Josh, a meningococcal disease survivor | California

My son was diagnosed with meningococcal meningitis in 1988 when he was 2 yrs old. The night before he was diagnosed we called the doctor to let him know that my son had a fever of 104; we were told to bring him to the office in the morning. When we saw the doctor in the morning, we were sent home with a diagnosis of high fever flu. No medications were sent home. By the afternoon, Josh’s blood vessels were bursting, he had negative blood pressure and he was in shock. Thank God for the head physician at Sutter Memorial Hospital and the other doctors and nurses for saving my child. He had a 20% chance to live and he did. He was in intensive care for 2 weeks and in the hospital for 5. He had to go through Physical Therapy and wear leggings and only has a few…  read more

Lauren

Survivor of meningococcal disease | Nebraska

My life took a drastic change the summer before my senior year in high school when a group of students and I went on a trip to Spain in June 2002. I was nearing my 17th birthday and looking forward to coming home to see my family after the long three weeks I had spent overseas. Towards the last few days of our trip many of the students including me started to feel ill. We all just thought it was the culture shock of drinking warm milk and eating uncooked meats. We were all eager to get home and eat the food that we were all used to and eager to spend the night in our own warm beds. June 22, 2002: This would be the day that I would never forget. Approximately two days after we arrived in the States I woke up around 4:00 am my parent’s house…  read more

Rebecca

Friend of Sara, died of meningococcal disease | Pennsylvania

Back in March 2007, my friend, Sara, woke up one day with the flu, or at least that’s what the hospital said. After the hospital sent her home, she went back two more times that day for help. They assured her that she just had a bad case of the flu and would feel better tomorrow. Well tomorrow never came; she ended up dying that night at 10:20 in her bed.

Robbie

Parent of a meningococcal disease victim | Texas

My 35 year old son was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and died on February 11, 2009, 36 hours after entering the hospital. He lived in Dayton, Texas, and was taken to Herman Memorial hospital in Humble. I don’t believe this news was made public in the area. His name was Shawn. I feel that everyone should be made aware; it is such a dreadful and dangerous disease.

Terry

Child of a meningococcal disease victim | Georgia

When I was in the 1st grade my father, who was never sick woke up one morning feeling nauseated. He decided to go ahead into work in San Francisco. As the morning progressed, he got worse and was admitted to the hospital. Unfortunately, as the afternoon turned to evening, he died. He was 31 years old, had never had a serious illness and just got sick and died all in one day. Needless to say we were all in shock, especially when we were told they were not sure what caused his death. We didn’t even have a chance to tell him goodbye. We returned home from the funeral to a Christmas tree with presents for our dad still under the tree. It was almost a week before we learned of the reason being Spinal Meningitis, something we had never heard of. During that week my mother had to make…  read more


Page 5 of 512345