Mother of Erin, Who Died of Meningococcal Disease
Watch Erin's Story
Cindy Krejny's daughter, Erin, was just days away from her 19th birthday when she lost her life to meningococcal disease. One afternoon, Erin began feeling sick and complained to her friends of numbness in her arms and legs and a stiff neck. The next day, Cindy received a phone call from her daughter's friends saying Erin was at the hospital with the flu. Cindy and her husband Tom called the hospital and were told they should come immediately. The hospital was three hours away. By the time they arrived, Erin had died. Heartbroken and confused, the Krejny's were told their daughter had a rare, serious bacterial infection called meningococcal disease. Most tragically, they learned too late that vaccination could have helped prevent the disease and save their daughter's life.
For more information about prevention and meningococcal vaccination recommendations, click here.
"Meningococcal disease attacks so fast, is so deadly and is so dangerous," said Cindy. "That's why prevention through vaccination is so important."
> Listen to PSA (mp3)
Mother of Tess, Who Died of Meningococcal Disease
Krista Whitson's 5-year-old daughter, Tess, was an active and happy young girl when she contracted a dangerous and deadly form of bacterial meningitis known as meningococcal disease, in March 1999. One morning in March, Tess told Krista that she was too sick to go to school, which was unusual because she loved going to school and playing with her friends. By that evening, the purplish rash had spread onto Tess' torso. Unfortunately, the disease had spread too quickly and caused too much damage to save Tess' life.
> Full Bio (PDF)
Mother of Landan, Who died of Meningococcal Disease
Lacey's 3-year-old son, Landan, was a sweet, healthy, and active little boy when he contracted a potentially deadly, yet vaccine-preventable bacterial infection known as meningococcal disease. On November 14, 2006, Landan was cranky, acting lethargic and complaining of a sore throat. When Lacey put her son to bed that night, she assumed he was just suffering from a cold. However, the next morning, Lacey noticed purple blotches all over Landan's body. Lacey's mother told her to call 911 immediately. As soon as Landan arrived at the hospital, doctors diagnosed him with meningococcal disease and told Lacey that her son had a 10 percent chance of survival. Despite the doctorsí efforts to save his life, Landanís heart stopped, and he passed away only twenty-three hours after arriving at the hospital.
"Minutes matter because meningococcal disease progresses so quickly," said Lacey. "Parents need to know that the best way to protect their children from this devastating disease is through vaccination."
> Full Bio (PDF)